Five new songs hit the Alt18 Countdown this week knocking of heavy-hitters Imagine Dragons and Coldplay among others. Nothing changed at the top, though.
Twenty One Pilots and “Shy Away” held No. 1 for the third straight followed by Manchester Orchestra and “Bed Head.” Glass Animals reached No. 3 with “Space Ghost Coast to Coast” and The Band CAMINO is stalking the top spot with “1 Last Cigarette.” The Neighbourhood and “Stargazing” round out the Top 5.
Modest Mouse made the biggest jump of the week, moving from 18 to 8 with “We Are Between.”
My first time through the countdown this weekend I skipped Weezer’s “All My Favorite Songs” at No. 13. Good thing I listened again. They played a Weezer/AJR version that’s pretty good. Check it out here.
Bleachers are back on the countdown with “Stop Making This Hurt,” while, as predicted, Sir Sly is ready for another climb up the Alt18 with “Welcome the Pressures.”
Alice Merton made a well-deserved return with “Vertigo.”
SHAED and Two Feet return to No. 17 with Part Time Psycho. I love SHAED literally saying hi to the flower beds in this song. Interesting note on SHAED’s name: It comes from Patrick Rothfuss’ The Kingkiller Chronicles. Not to get too nerdy, but this article says it came from “Name of the Wind,” but the shaed in the fantasy series is introduced in book 2, “Wise Man’s Fear.” If anyone knows different, let me know!
Along with Imagine Dragons and Coldplay, Black Pumas (my vote this week), Joywave, and KennyHoopla dropped off this week.
10 Years Ago in Alt18 History
Here’s the Alt18 Countdown for 5/21/11 (thank you, Richard!). Death Cab for Cutie was on a 6-week run at No. 1 with “You Are a Tourist, while Grouplove lie in wait with “Colours,” which would eventually take the top spot. Check out the Beastie Boys at No. 5 with “Make Some Noise.”
- Death Cab For Cutie- You Are a Tourist
- The Naked and Famous- Young Blood
- Airborne Toxic Event- Changing
- Manchester Orchestra- April Fool
- Beastie Boys- Make Some Noise
- Two Door Cinema Club- What You Know
- Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi/Jack White- Two Against One
- Young the Giant- My Body
- Incubus- Adolescents
- The Last Royals- Crystal Vases
- The Strokes- Under Cover of Darkness
- Arcade Fire- Month of May
- Cage the Elephant- Around My Head
- Grouplove- Colours
- Foster the People- Pumped Up Kicks
- Yuck- Get Away
- Foo Fighters- Rope
- Joy Formidable- Whirring
I love hearing from you all. Drop a comment or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Along with this blog, here’s a few channels I update:
- Finding Alt’s weekly playlist on Spotify
- Follow the updated Pandora playlist.
- Here’s the Alt18 YouTube playlist
- Sign up for the Finding Alt18 newsletter
- Join the Finding Alt18 Discord. We’re just getting started, but I hope it’s a place to talk and share music — and make this site a little better. Open to all. Come share your thoughts on the countdown or anything alt-music related.
- Twitter: @findingalt18
Alt18 Countdown, 5/22/21
18. Sir Sly, Welcomes the Pressure
17. Shaed/Two Feet, Part Time Psycho
16. Billie Eilish, Your Power
15. Alice Merton, Vertigo
14. Still Woozy, Rocky
13. Weezer/AJR, All My Favorite Song
12. Bleachers, Stop Making this Hurt
11. Blu DeTiger, Vintage
10. All Time Low, Once in a Lifetime
9. The Happy Fits, Hold Me Down
8. Modest Mouse, We Are Between
7. CHVRCHES, He Said, She Said
6. girl in red, serotonin
5. The Neighbourhood, Stargazing
4. The Band CAMINO, 1 Last Cigarette
3. Glass Animals, Space Ghost Coast to Coast
2. Manchester Orchestra, Bed Head
1. Twenty One Pilots, Shy Away
Feedback? Spot a mistake? Get in touch any time at: email@example.com
I love sharing this blog week to week, but there are some expenses running the site. If you’d like to say thanks, and have a buck or two, use the link below to make a contribution. Thanks!